50 Words or Less

The Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD is surprisingly smooth while delivering the expected spin-killer ball flight.

Introduction

While not as famed as the Diamana series or as popular as the new Tensei shafts, Mitsubishi's Kuro Kage line is well known for standing up to aggressive swings.  The latest addition, the Kuro Kage XD, builds on the platform created by the Kuro Kage XT but takes that performance to even higher (or, more correctly, lower) levels.

Looks

The Kuro Kage XD looks similar to past Kuro Kage shafts with a white upper section transitioning to a shiny silver lower.  With a touch of flash in the form of "Kuro Kage" branding that can light up with a rainbow of colors, the XD strikes a balance between eye-catching and classy.

Feel

I had a certain amount of trepidation when I first headed out to test the Kuro Kage XD.  My swing speed has dipped recently due to some small injuries, and my past experience with Kuro Kage shafts told me that I would need every bit of power to make these shafts work.

MCA provided the Kuro Kage XD in both stiff and X-flex for testing.  I started with the stiff thinking that I wouldn't be able to move the X at all.  After a couple of swings, I was pleasantly surprised by how much action I was feeling.  The kick point is decidedly high – it feels like it's just inches below the grip – but it loads and unloads smoothly.  In contrast, the tip section is rock solid.

Buoyed by the pleasant feel of the stiff, I switched to the X.  Again, I was surprised at how smoothly the shaft flexed, even when I wasn't swinging all out.  While the X provided much less kick than the stiff, it still combined the stable tip section with a smooth feeling in the grip.

If you've been scared off of the feel of Kuro Kage shafts before, give the XD a try.

Performance

The Kuro Kage XD's raison d'etre is low launch, low spin, and tons of stability.  To that end, MCA used 1.5 times more Dual-Core Titanium Nickel Wire in the KK XD compared to the XT.  That stability was immediately noticeable when I took this shaft to the range.  From the first swing, I saw shots that barely curved at all.  Even when I bashed one off the heel or toe, the ball would take a small turn then seem to straighten at the end of its flight.

In terms of trajectory, the Kuro Kage XD produced some of the flattest shots I've seen lately.  Even on a breezy spring day, my shots climbed quickly to their peak then bored through the air.  Whether I was hitting draws or cuts, no shot seemed bothered by the wind at all.

MCA is making the Kuro Kage XD available in 50, 60, 70, and 80 grams.  Regular flex players will have only the 50 gram option.  Stiff will be available at 50 and 60.  TX (Tour X) comes in 60, 70, and 80, and the standard X flex is the one flex available in every weight.

Conclusion

It's becoming a trend this year: equipment changes that I wasn't expecting.  While I've been extremely happy with my driver shaft, the performance of theMCA Kuro Kage XD is too good to not get a serious look.  If you want lower spin with surprisingly smooth feel, talk to your fitter about giving this a swing.

The following two tabs change content below.

Matt is the Founder and Editor in Chief of Plugged In Golf. He's worked in nearly every job in the golf industry from club fitting to instruction to writing and speaking. Matt lives in the northwest suburbs of Chicago with his wife and two daughters.